Doctor of Education (Massey University), PGrad Dip Ed Psych (Otago University), M Ed (Otago University)
Ron is a registered Educational Psychologist and a life member of the New Zealand Psychological Society. Initially Ron trained as a primary teacher in Dunedin and taught in Otago and London for a number of years. After graduating as an Educational Psychologist (with a special interest in learning difficulties and disabilities) Ron practised in Tauranga, Thames, Hastings and most recently Auckland Central with the Ministry of Education – Special Education. Whilst in Hastings, as well as using his psychologist skills Ron also was a leader of a team of multi-disciplinary professionals offering educational, psychological, physiotherapy and occupational therapy advice, guidance and support to schools in area. Whilst working in Auckland Ron has specialised in disabilities and has taken a lead in helping schools to learn to apply for the Ongoing Resourcing Scheme (ORS) for children who have very high needs. He has also mentored several graduating psychologists during their internship.
Ron has professional and personal interests in:
- The effects of early childhood trauma on children and young people particularly as it affects their learning and behaviour
- Assisting children and young people grow and develop through the Ongoing Resourcing Scheme
- Helping children with learning difficulties
- Mentoring intern educational psychologists
- Finding culturally appropriate ways to help children and families whose ethnicity is not New Zealand European
Ron is married with three adult children and four grandchildren.