Maggie van den Heuvel
Dance/Movement Therapist, DTAA (Prof. DMT) Reg. ADTA | Expressive Arts Therapist (TAE – EGS) | Professional Dancer and Performer
Emilia is a very talented dancer and arts therapist. Emilia centres her therapy around combining movement and multimodal arts expression. Emilia believes we are motivated by the compilation of life experiences and abilities that we interplay between our physical body, our cognition, imagination and emotions. Dance/Movement Therapy invites children/teens/young adults to an encounter with their own expressions, body awareness and development of their sense of self and confidence.
Dance Movement Therapy for children and teens provides the opportunity to explore one’s use of imagination and creativity while developing skills and communication through the language of movements. Young children and teens will experience movements and rhythms with the use of a variety of music and props which enhance self-awareness, self-control and coordination.
The benefits of the sessions include calming relaxation, reduction of stress levels, increased focus on the present activity, (being in the moment), personal growth, development of social interaction and collaboration in a playful, supportive and safe environment.
Emilia is originally from Buenos Aires Argentina and has been living in NZ since 2006. She is a NZ registered Dance and Movement therapist. Emilia completed Post Graduate training in Dance Movement Therapy in Buenos Aires and Expressive Arts therapy in Peru. Emilia is currently studying towards her doctorate in Expressive Arts therapy.
In New Zealand Emilia has an extensive background working with children and teenagers including but not limited to:
- Involvement in the Dance 4 Us program (Auckland)
- As the artistic director and performer in ‘On Display’ in Art Galleries and schools, Sculpture on Shore, Pride Festival and Lake House Art Theatre, NZ (2018 – 2019).
- At Wairau Special School and associated satellites
- At Māpura Studios facilitating Movement and Art classes including performance art and dance therapy at Central Auckland Special Schools for children and teens.
- As a performer in Touch Compass Dance Co (since 2008)
- As a tutor for inclusive dance community classes and choreographic workshops in schools also with Touch Compass Dance Co.
- Collaboratively worked with Suzanne Cowan and performed in Pharmakos at The Performance Arcade Festival at Wellington (2014).
- Collaborated in various research dance project with choreographer Carol Brown at The Pah Homestead (2015). ‘LungSong’ dance film was presented at Festival of Colour in Wanaka and performed at Lopdell House Rooftop, Titirangi, Auckland- NZ- April 2019.
Emilia’s therapeutic background was forged from her time as a Professional Dancer and her 14 years as a member of the Teatro San Martin Contemporary Dance Company in Buenos Aires. Emilia received the Clarín Award for Best Dancer of the year in Argentina – 2001 and Best Female Dancer in Tempo Dance Festival in Auckland – 2006.
Emilia has also studied photography at Unitec. She practises Improvisation, Contact Improvisation, Yoga, and Visual Arts such as painting and pottery and attends Professional Development Workshops.